Monday, September 21, 2015

Vegetable Spiralizer


I received this vegetable spiralizer at a discount in exchange for writing a review and blog post about it.
The first time I tried this, I used carrots. That did not work out really well at all. I think the carrots are just too hard for this machine to work properly. It took me about 5 minutes to get through one carrot. It was frustrating and I was ready to throw the whole machine out the window. Then, I got it back out again last week and tried some potatoes. i was going to make mashed potatoes and was hoping this would help them cook quickly because I had decided on mashed potatoes kind of late into my supper preparations. I didn't have much hope, since this had worked so poorly for carrots. I was pleasantly surprised though at how quickly this whipped right through the potatoes. I was able to prepare enough potatoes for five people in just a minute or two. I think the softer vegetable really made a difference. And, this did make a big difference in the cook time of the potatoes. They cooked up quickly and didn't require much mashing since they were so thinly sliced. They tasted great too. 

 I do find the handle and the lever to move the contraption very awkward to use. The whole thing stays secure to the countertop with four suction cups. It is rather hard to unstick them when you are done though. The whole thing is a bit of a pain to wash up, so I'm really not sure if this is something I will be using very often.

No comments: